"A modern, substantial and attractive building was seen as an indication of the prosperity and future of the town. The station was also handling much more traffic and needed a larger, more extensive building. Contractors began work in 1914, using stone from Jim Watson’s Cannawigara property and stone railed in from Keith." Sources: Tatiara, The First 140 Years, Alan Jones, 1985.On opening, the new signal box inside the station replaced two others in the yards. The narrow gauge track also reduced, eventually going altogether, when the South East was converted to broad gauge by 1954.
Saturday, 10 September 2011
Originally part of the South East narrow gauge system, though was never classed as a break of gauge station. The station building is the third for Bordertown. The first, built in 1883, burnt down in 1889 and was replaced with another wooden class 2 structure. But the town folks of Bordertown thought that their town deserved better, being an important agricultural centre; so a new, Art Nouveau style stone building was constructed between 1914-15.