Auscision Models announced today via Facebook, that they will be producing the NSW NODY open wagon; not seen since Austrains produced one many years ago. Now, I do not need a NODY, but many have had their bodies cut, or removed altogether. The most common is the RKLY, seen on steel traffic trains, with the orange 'butter box' coil steel containers. These run over the main south line several days a week; from NSW, to Adelaide and onto Perth.
RKLY Model Auscision Models.
Ever wondered where these wagons go. In Adelaide, they transfer over, probably one of the last industrial branches left in the city, into Blue Scope Steel at Wingfield.
Coil steel containers been unloaded at Blue Scope Steel.
In addition to the RKLY, Auscision are producing several other variants used on steel trains.
For some time I have been thicking how I was going to build my platform. The platform at Horsham is long, (only part of it was refurbished for use today) with a newer extension added to the Adelaide end at some time. It, also is also built up to near ground level on the road entrance side, so has one face for much of its length.
Before been filled in, at the Melbourne end, there use to be a dock platform for locomotives which had lines leading to a turntable (which its position is now under the road bridge). At the other end, the railcar dock still exists, but the track has been lifted. Was used to stable track machinery until removed.
So how was I going to build my platform? I tried wood, but even with high quality timbers, trying to obtain non warped strips was hard. Did not work.
So, I turned to youtube, the great internet university and came across a method from an English modeller. (How to build station platforms)
The method described was to use plasterboard. Two sheets cut and placed on top of each other also gave the correct height for Victorian platforms, of 3' 2" from top of rail to platform. Diagram F498 can be found on www.victorianrailways.com.au, under infrastructure.
I started cutting the board with a knife, then used a jigsaw: like cutting butter. Much easier. I used the full length of a sheet of size 900x4200. (Actually have half a sheet left, and the cost was around $12).
This shows the railcar dock platform, and the large flat area is where the signal box and train catering
buildings used to be.
This photo shows adjustments to make use the distance from platform edge to mid of track was 5' 1".
For this, I made a small jig, marking the distance to where the rails are to where the platform edge is. The platform edges are PECO platform sides, and I glued brick plastic card to these, with an added 1mm, to lift the sides to the 20mm. (English platforms are 19mm OO scale high).
I just screwed to plasterboard to the ply base with self drilling screws. Also, I will have to add to bit of length to the Melbourne end, as the platform is closer to the bridge, at this end, than I first thought.