The yard also contains, a 1883 station masters residence, a 1887 timber railway worker cottage and annex, four 1910 stone cottages, and two 1920's Webb era prefab-concrete cottages. A SAR Institute building, 1910 stone barracks, and more recent barracks built by AN.
|1887 Timber cottage.|
|Wharf line down side of cliffs.|
The line, not only accessed the wharf, but also another Noske Bros flour mill complex. This building is still in use, producing animal feeds, buy no longer serviced by rail. (But all the rails are still there, just covered by Bitumen. The rail access is to the left of the building.)
The line passes underneath the highway through a short tunnel and out onto the bridge, opened in 1925 Originally, the line past through as cutting (it is still there) and across, what is now the road bridge. Each of the two truss spans are 185ft in length, with the curved chord riveted span, 240ft in length. From there, across the flood plain flats, are 18, 70ft girder spans, curving to the right. Total length of 1880ft.
And for those who don't know, the above photos shows just a few of the cars just before the start of the 24 hour race.